UN support for Ukrainian citizens

Despite the fact that, as individuals, we have been constantly helping as much as we can for over a month, the support of the government, local governments and non-governmental institutions is essential at this point. UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency, offers independent, short-term, essential material assistance to refugees forced to flee occupied Ukraine. People qualified for support can get about PLN 700 a month and about PLN 600 for another family member. Who is eligible, where and how to get support?

What is UNHCR?

UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) is the most important organization responsible for protecting people who have been forced to flee their country due to wars and persecution. The organization aims to support by meeting basic life-saving needs, ie providing food, water and shelter. The organization works in 134 countries for over 70 million forcibly displaced persons. The support program is not linked to other aid organizations.

What support can Ukrainian citizens count on?

Needless to say, any help has power. As you know, in addition to everyday material things, cash is also essential for survival, which gives agency to the needy. It allows you to decide what is needed. Thanks to the UNHCR financial support program, you can get PLN 700 per person, and PLN 600 for another family member - the amount depends on the dollar exchange rate. Up to four family members can receive support. 

One household is entitled to a maximum of about PLN 2,540 per month. Financial support is provided once a month for a minimum period of three months.

How can I get help?

On the official website of the organization, you can obtain detailed, verified information about the program and related registration. Currently, we can fill in the form on the website, including the necessary Polish telephone number. The agency, by sending an SMS, may invite us to visit one of the institutions in order to arrange the details and complete the formalities. At the moment, branches are opened mainly in Warsaw, but are planned to appear in other cities. Each eligible family member must appear at the registration authority in person. You should bring your ID card, passport or other identity document and a document confirming the date of entry to Poland. It is advisable to make an appointment in advance.

Joanna Karp